How do you Feel?



How do you Feel?

A Project

By Swadha Rawat





A little background on the project and poem

From the 11th of May 2020 to the 16th of May 2020, I participated in a Psychology Summer Internship with Dr Samir Parikh, organised by Fortis Hospital. An important part of the internship was the Social Media Project I had to make.

Now, I was honestly quite perplexed about what to do. I've always been a firm advocate of the importance of mental health, but I had never expressed my opinions to a platform larger than that of my school magazine.

I ended up writing a poem.

But there was still something missing. The message seemed almost disjointed and clinical on paper. That was when I realised that what I was missing was the emphatic, humanistic approach. I guess it was almost a flash of inspiration. Suddenly, it was all I could think of. This is how I wanted to make an impact, a multimedia project.

In a flurry, I texted my classmates and the response I received was overwhelming. They were all incredibly vested in the venture and agreed to letting me record them. Next, I talked to some of the adults I knew and got recordings of their voices. Quite honestly, even if the words are my own, they were brought to life in their voices and I am extremely thankful for their support

The next two days, I lived, breathed and slept this project. I wanted to make something that touched people; that gave them hope and told them that they weren't the only ones who felt or thought this way.

So, here it is. Forty-eight hours of tears, sweat and aching shoulders presents to you- "How do you Feel? A Project". 




How do you Feel?
The voices chattering
Only in my ears
Deafen me.
But when I turn and ask a friend
The only reply is, “That’s so creepy.”

How do you Feel?
One. Two. Three.
I feel like a puppet.
Four. Five. Six.
The puppet master says,
“It's necessary to do things this way.”
Six. Five. Four.
Repeat the action once more.
Three. Two. One.
That’s just not the way things are done.

How do you Feel?
It's like no one else can see,
The devil perched on my shoulder
Constantly telling me
To pick up even what I do not need,
The security guard might yell stop
But I cannot.

How do you Feel?
It's like my house is on fire,
And there’s only me
Rushing around,
Trying to put out the flames
While my neighbours ask, “What’s the hurry?”
I know now
That they must’ve lit the tinder.

How do you Feel?
Some days my shoes are cement blocks
Dragging me into the depths of an ocean from which I cannot escape,
The dark and cold envelopes me
There was no lifeguard on duty.

 How do you Feel?
The buzzing television static
A loud voice teasing and suddenly my blood is boiling
The next second
I switch it off along with the TV
Its hard to function
When nobody believes that there’s a problem;
Is it just my faulty connection?

How do you feel?
The stage I’m standing on is too hot and too cold
The light in my eyes is too bright
My breath is short, the silence is long
I can’t speak,
I can’t breathe.

How do you feel?
The memories play behind my eyes on repeat
The ground seems as though it could give way beneath my feet
And every time I hear a car backfire
I’m back in a battlefield.

How do you Feel?
Ups and downs,
Turns and arounds.
It’s like I spend my entire life
On a roller-coaster of emotions, I don’t know how to get off of.

How do you Feel?
I read the page of my textbook again
And again and again
Slower each time until the words stop moving
Across the page
But by the time they make sense, 
And I’ve managed to unscramble them in my head
Our teacher’s already moved ahead.

How do you Feel?
There’s a buzzing electricity underneath my skin
And a violent tremor in my leg.
My eyes keep darting from here to there.
And even if I try to hold on tight to the wheel,
The ship that is my mind
Always seems to veer off course.

How do you Feel?
I’m too fat so I can’t eat
And my legs are too… And my waist isn’t…
And my shoulders and my nose and my lips and my stomach and…
There’s so much wrong with me.
I love my friends and how they look and how they are,
Then why can’t I love me?

___________
Throw open your windows,
And dust out your curtains.
Let the sunlight stream in
To illuminate-
What was previously hidden.


Comments

  1. Excellent. Well crafted and compiled. Good idea of having multiple characters. Good work Swadha. Many congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding Swadha , haven't seen anybody putting it in such a novel way . Indeed Mental health is a burning topic today and you have done full justice to concept . Well compiled and presented. Kudos to you girl .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concept is very appealing. It successfully conveys the states of mind of different people. Very well written and compiled. Congratulations and we'll done 👍.

      Delete
  4. Excellent work Ms. Swadha... The struggles are well presented... How do they feel when they face these struggles everyday... Hope someday things will change and people will be more empethetic towards them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully expressed! Amazing insightful and heart touching!An effective message!Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The concept is very appealing. It conveys the states of mind of different people very effectively. Very nicely compiled and presented. Congratulations and well done 👍.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do i feel ?? i feel temors under my skin while looking at your presentation. Such mature way of handling ,such an intense topic at such a blooming age of teens.. indeed it calls for *unending applause.*..You are already going place Swadha ...God bless

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swadha..you are truly a gifted one! Touchwood! So well crafted. You veer the readers through mind's rollercoaster with such ease. .so real. Was almost there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really great Swadha!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The words are beautifully assembled and put together . The poem so elegantly puts together the thoughts people feel but are somehow not able to speak. You put other's emotions into words such gracefully. Amazing work Swadha! Keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an excellent and wonderful presentation ! Really heart touching.
    Well done Swadha !👌👍

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really beautifully presented and heart touching...God bless u Swadha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An innovative way of presenting one's feelings in such a wonderful manner. Well composed poem. Remarkable work done by Ms. Swadha. Keep going young girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have grown up ,darling Swadha. The plight of all humans , irrespective of any age has been appropriately worded by you. Feel proud to see your intetest in such sensitive issue of ones well being. Keep going bitiya !!



    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent Swadha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully written. Very thought-provoking. Looking forward to more such poems Swadha :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow.... Swadha..... Good one, Fantastic Poem.. Keep it up & carry on with same dedication, you've got long way to go.. God Bless you beta..

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's really insightful and extremely well written, Swadha. Needless to say, the poem is very touching!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. it's really heart touching and extremely well written Swadha 👏👏 Excellent poem . God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  21. Archana ChaudharyMay 16, 2020 at 7:08 PM

    This captures a stressed person's myriad battles with self perception, peer pressure, keeping up to images reinforced by society and trying to fit in all our lives to moulds that aren't cast to our emotional shape in the first place. And so we feel broken and pushed around and unheard. I think when you ask someone who is calm this question...they wouldn't respond and just smile. You've triggered a great deal of reflection through this powerful rendition. Bravo! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an idea.perfectly executed.well done

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it's a phenomenal work for a starter, who seems to possess that great quality every professional psychologist should have: active and empathetic listening. Having understood the inner feelings of people who have mental health issues, Swadha has captured them so well with her poetic skill like a wordsmith, and has presented them in a stunningly simplistic fashion, censoring the distractions that could have taken away the beauty of the idea. Keep up the good work, Swadha!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations Swadha! Varied emotions so beautifully captured and penned that it instantly forms a connect with the reader. Completely in awe of your writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Swadha! Varied emotions so beautifully captured and penned that it instantly forms a connect with the reader. Completely in awe of your writing! Good luck! Anju

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very thought provoking and unique take on a very prevalent yet taboo subject. So impressed by your creativity Swadha, how poignantly you have captured emotions and the narration is just brilliant. Well done! Geetali BAJPAI

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Matchbox House

Modern Day Superheroes